Human trafficking is a massive problem and if you are like me, it often feels overwhelming trying to figure out how you can fight it as just one person. Seemingly small things are actually way more significant than we often believe so in honor of End It Day today I’m sharing five ways that you can make a positive difference fighting human trafficking right now.
- Donate Organizations can’t run without financial support. Giving money makes prevention, rescue, and aftercare all possible. Consider giving up a few cups of coffee or maybe a meal out this week and use that money to fight for freedom. Some organizations that I love are Dressember, The Exodus Road, and End It Movement.
- Speak Up Write a letter or make a phone call to your state representatives and make it clear that fighting human trafficking needs to be a top priority. Talk about human trafficking with your friends, family, classmates, and anyone you interact with. Awareness alone won’t end human trafficking but people can’t do anything if they don’t know about the problem.
- Buy Fair Trade Human trafficking is the second most profitable industry in the world, right after drug trafficking. Buy only buying fair trade products you are chipping away at the profitability of trafficking and slowly making it less attractive to companies to use products made by slaves.
- Thank a Foster Parent The heartbreaking truth is that children in the foster care system are some of the most vulnerable in this country to being trafficked. If you know a child or teenager who is in foster care, be their friend, support them and make sure they know that someone out there supports them and thinks they are valuable and be someone they can turn to if they need a safe place to go. If you know a foster or adoptive parent, let them know that you see how valuable what they are doing is. Buy them coffee or find a way to encourage them.
- Be Aware Learn the signs of human trafficking and watch out for them. If you see something suspicious, call the national human trafficking hotline at 1-888-373-7888 or text HELP BeFree (233733)
Human trafficking won’t end overnight, it takes everyone working together and taking steps to fight for justice. I strongly encourage you to pick one, or five of these ways and join the fight, I promise that it’s more than worth it.